UPDATED: The days and times of this audition have been changed! Please make a note of it of you plan on attending.
My friend Sarah is directing this upcoming version of an honored classic! Make sure and tell your friends!
Auditions for “Arsenic & Old Lace”
Written by Joseph Kesselring, Directed by Sarah Etherton
For the clan known as “Brewster”, insanity runs in the family. Two sweet old aunts take it upon themselves to poison lonely old men with nothing to live for, as an act of charity. Their nephew, Mortimer, has just been married, and is trying to negotiate his way around the shenanigans of the house, while trying to keep his new bride from fleeing. Shady brother John returns from a world adventure involving using corpses to change his appearance to allude capture. The merry mayhem continues with bugle-blowing brother, Teddy, who is charged with burial duties.
Auditions to be held at:
Date and time:
Monday, July 30, 6:00 PM
Tuesday, July 31, 6:00 PM
11 Men, Ages 30 and up
2 Women, Ages 60 and up
1 Woman, Late 20’s
- Abby Brewster: A darling lady in her sixties who poisons elderly men. Abby is the sister of Martha and an aunt to Teddy, Jonathan, and Mortimer.
- The Rev. Dr. Harper: Minister and father of Elaine
- Teddy Brewster: Nephew of Abby and Martha Brewster, Teddy is a man in his forties who thinks that he is Theodore Roosevelt.
- Officer Brophy: A police officer
- Martha Brewster: A sweet elderly woman with Victorian charm who poisons elderly men, Martha is the sister of Abby and an aunt to Teddy, Jonathan, and Mortimer.
- Elaine Harper: An attractive girl in her twenties and Mortimer’s fiancee, Elaine is the daughter of the Rev. Dr. Harper. She is surprisingly wise in the ways of the world for a minister’s daughter.
- Mortimer Brewster: Nephew of Abby and Martha, Mortimer is a drama critic who is engaged to Elaine. He is a nice man who cares for his aunts.
- Mr. Gibbs: A man who wishes to rent a room from the Brewster sisters
- Jonathan Brewster: Nephew of Abby and Martha Brewster, Jonathan is a psychopath who has had plastic surgery and now looks like Boris Karloff.
- Dr. Einstein: A plastic surgeon and an alcoholic who is in his fifties, Dr. Einstein has changed Jonathan’s face three times.
- Officer O’Hara: A police officer, O’Hara is a would-be playwright who pesters Mortimer to read his play.
- Lieutenant Roony: A tough and dominating police officer
- Mr. Witherspoon: The superintendent of Happy Dale Sanitarium
Rehearsals are TBA, Performance Dates are October 12-14, 18-21, & 25-27
Auditioners should come prepared to cold read from the script.
Scripts will be available at the VLT for check out during Box office hours.
For more information about the production please contact the director:
Helpful links provided by EugeneAuditions:
Need help strengthening your cold reading skills? Why not schedule a one on one class with Dr. Chryss Allaback?